FAQ – Help
Frequently asked questions, or FAQs are listed questions and answers.
Table of Contents
1.Divine Office Website
- 1.1 What is divineoffice.org?
- 1.2 Who runs divineoffice.org?
- 1.3 Is this an official Catholic, Vatican endorsed and approved resource?
2.Divine Office Podcast
- 2.1 What is a podcast and how do I access it?
- 2.2 How do I access the Divine Office Podcast without iTunes?
- 2.3 Do I need an iPod to listen to the Divine Office Podcast?
- 2.4 Why does the podcast contain only a few days of the Liturgy of the Hours?
3.Divine Office iPhone App
- 3.1 Do I need an iPhone to listen to Divine Office Audio Liturgy of the Hours?
- 3.2 What is the advantage of using the iPhone App instead of my iPod?
- 3.3 Why do you charge for the Divine Office iPhone App?
- 3.4 Are upgrades to the application free?
- 3.5 The iPhone App does not play audio. The iPhone App does not display the list of prayers. The iPhone App is not working properly.
- 3.6 How do I re-install the iPhone App? Will I be billed again for the purchase?
- 3.7 Can I get a free copy?
1.Divine Office Website
1.1 What is divineoffice.org?
Divine Office is an Audio version of the Liturgy of the Hours [links to Introduction to the LoH], produced by our ministry with the purpose of promoting the tradition of praying always through these ancient treasures of the Church, not only to Catholics but to all Christians universally. We hope everyone will enjoy these free daily inspirational scriptures and prayers. Listening to psalms in the morning as you start your day or at the conclusion in the evening is a wonderful form of prayer with the benefit of being the confluence of inspirational poems and scripture.
1.2 Who runs divineoffice.org?
The initiative is maintained, produced and made freely available by Dane Falkner who works with a talented and dedicated pool volunteers who spend uncountable hours in the studio creating this beautiful liturgy: Chriss, Denise, Greg, Erika and others contribute to our effort with their time, effort and talents. We welcome volunteers and contributors to help us along the way.
1.3 Is this an official Catholic, Vatican endorsed and approved resource?
The DivineOffice.org initiative, like very many others, has started as a “personal” initiative of a small group of lay people. They created the Catholic Classes website as something mainly targeted to the RCIA of Salt Lake City, Utah parish, and has then evolved in this service. This is a free service created by volunteers. This is a work-in-progress. This site, the podcast and the iPhone App are tools intended to help people to pray throughout their day, it is not intended as a replacement for a “physical” prayer community or the guidance of a “physical” priest. DivneOffice.org has not been formally recognized and approved by the Catholic Church.
2.Divine Office Podcast
2.1 What is a podcast and how do I access it?
A podcast is a free video or audio series — like a TV or radio show — that you download from iTunes and play on your computer, iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV. Source: Apple.com
A podcast is a series of digital media files, usually either digital audio or video, that is made available for download via web syndication. The syndication aspect of the delivery is what differentiates podcasts from other ways of accessing files, such as simple download or streaming: it means that special client software applications known as podcatchers (such as Apple Inc.’s iTunes or Nullsoft’s Winamp) can automatically identify and retrieve new files in a series when they are made available, by accessing a centrally-maintained web feed that lists all files currently associated with that particular podcast. The files thus automatically downloaded are then stored locally on the user’s computer or other device, for offline use. Source: Wikipedia
2.2 How do I access the Divine Office Podcast without iTunes?
iTunes is available for Macs and PCs and it is a free download from Apple’s website here [link to iTunes donwload]. You can always access the Divine Office Audio Liturgy of the Hours through divineoffice.org using a web browser, or you can download the audio files from our servers using an RSS reader (click on Subscribe to My Feed orange button to the left to access the RSS feed) and manually transfer the files to your portable MP3 player.
2.3 Do I need an iPod to listen to the Divine Office Podcast?
No. Our podcast is distributed in MP3 format: any MP3 player will be able to read the audio files.
2.4 Why does the podcast contain only a few days of the Liturgy of the Hours?
We try to keep the service as clean and easy to use as possible. We believe that including all of the available audio liturgy in the podcast feed would complicate things to our end users. The feed also has some latency in updating itself: keeping it smaller makes it more agile.
3.Divine Office iPhone App
3.1 Do I need an iPhone to listen to Divine Office Audio Liturgy of the Hours?
No. Our podcast is distributed in MP3 format: any MP3 player will be able to read the audio files. You will need an iPhone only to use the Divine Office iPhone App.
3.2 What is the advantage of using the iPhone App instead of my iPod?
This app provides you with the same content available on the DivineOffice website, but in a much more convenient and beautiful presentation. It includes our free podcast audio content along with beautiful religious art from the Catholic tradition on most Solemnities, Memorials, and Feast Days and original music score and sang prayers.
The Divine Office iPhone App will automatically download today’s audio Liturgy as well as the next few days to your iPhone or iPod Touch over-the-air using your wireless connection — without iTunes synchronization — so you never need to connect to a computer for updates!
3.3 Why do you charge for the Divine Office iPhone App?
All proceeds from these apps are used to build our ministry, no one is making profit that we can spend in this world 🙂 The purchase price for this app does not cover the costs sustained to develop and maintain the iPhone App and the divineoffice.org website. In other words, there is no profit being made by the volunteers involved in this project through the sales of the iPhone App. The money gathered through the sales does help to sustain the technical efforts involved into the initiative, which are carried on by a team of remunerated developers and designers.
3.4 Are upgrades to the application free?
Yes. Apple does not charge for upgrades to an application you purchased. All improvements, upgrades and fixes to iPhone Apps are free.
3.5 The iPhone App does not play audio. The iPhone App does not display the list of prayers. The iPhone App is not working properly.
Although we make every effort to provide you with high quality service and software, there are some known issues with the syndication of our content that may occur that are not under our control. These issue may cause the iPhone Application to misbehave or to stop working correctly. You may encounter “parse errors” or be unable to play audio files from time to time. In the event this occurs, the easiest way is to remove and re-install the Divine Office Application from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
3.6 How do I re-install the iPhone App? Will I be billed again for the purchase?
No. You will not be billed again.
To re-install the app do the following:
- Exit the Divine Office iPhone App by pressing the “home” button.
- Tap and keep pressed the Divine Office iPhone App icon in your home screen.
- All the icons will start to move and an “x” will appear in the top left corner of each application’s icon.
- Tap the “x” on the Divine Office iPhone App.
- Feel free to leave a good rating to the app when prompted or just tap on “no, thanks” if you prefer to rate it later on.
- Press the “home” button again. All icons will stop moving.
- Open the App Store and search for Divine Office.
- Go to the App details screen and tap on the price twice to initiate the download. You will not be billed again: a warning will pop-up informing you that you already purchased the app and therefore you won’t be charged for the download.
- Wait for the app to complete the download and then launch it.
- Wait for the app to download and parse the RSS feed and allow it to download the full contents via WiFi.
3.7 Can I get a free copy?
Remember that all proceeds from these apps are used to build our ministry, no one is making profit that we can spend in this world 🙂 All of our apps are free to those who are Ordained, going to be Ordained, members of religious communities, or who just can’t afford the app. If you are one of these then simply request a free code by sending us email to [email protected]